Store, Deli & Office Hours: Tue-Sat, 10am-3pm
Tram Tours: Normally Tue-Sat, 11am & 1pm (subject to Cancellation) - Please Call or Book Online
THE AMAZING PLAY PLACE HOURS: Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-3pm
Shipping Fresh Fruit Weekly on Tuesday & Thursday through March
Spreads, Sauces, Dips & Condiments
Florida Barbecue Sauce
4 tsp Dry mustard
1/4 Cup Water
4 Pounds Fresh tomatoes, diced
1/2 Cup Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Cup Grapefruit juice
2/3 Cup Apple cider vinegar
1/3 Cup Lemon juice
1 Tbsp Salt
4 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Cayenne
2 Tbsp Datil Pepper Sauce or other bottled red-hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1. Combine mustard and water. Set aside.
2. In a 3-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, cook tomatoes, onion and garlic over low heat for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
3. Press mixture through a sieve back into the saucepan or Dutch oven. Discard pulp.
4. Add mustard-water mixture along with remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Lower heat and simmer to desired consistency.
5. Ladle into three 1-pint containers. Refrigerate. Sauce will keep for about 3 weeks. Reheat with a little butter, and brush over meats or poultry during the last stages of barbecuing, or serve on the side.
Yield: About three pints.
Note: Datil Pepper Sauce is a fiery condiment that historians believe was brought to St. Augustine by Minorcan settlers in the 1700's.
Recipe from FAMOUS florida! Delicious Grapefruit Recipes by Patricia Mack